Saturday 10 February 2018

Eating Out: Brisbane Vegan Markets December 2017

The last Brisbane Vegan Markets of the year were held on the second Sunday of December. There was only the morning markets this month, as the twilight markets would have fallen on Christmas Eve. I was hoping that there might be a bit of a holiday theme to the December markets, with some fun specials or things to buy, but it was mostly just the normal stuff. But of course, the normal stuff is still great!

First stop was our favourite, Green Street Foods. Tracee and I shared a new menu item, the Krab Burger. I am often not a fan of vegan seafood things, but I needn't have worried. This was awesome!!! The patty is jackfruit based, the bun is their own home-made gluten free dill bun (best gluten free bun I've ever tried, it was delicious, and I am not gluten free), and it even had some foraged beach mustard leaves on it! So good. Next time I won't be sharing. We also ordered some of the black bean nachos, with some of the mac and cheese on top. I missed out on the November markets because I was in Melbourne, which meant missing out on the first year birthday market celebrations. Green Street Food had an all mac and cheese menu, that I was devastated to miss. But I got to experience a little bit of it with these nachos.

Krabby Cake from Green Street Food at Brisbane Vegan Markets


Nachos with Mac and Cheese from Green Street Food at Brisbane Vegan Markets


Tracee also tried some of their special, tuna sushi rolls. I tried one, and while it wasn't that fishy, it was a bit too spicy for me!

Tuna Tempeh from Green Street Food at Brisbane Vegan Markets


We also got some refreshing beverages from the oddly named Bloody Buddy. Tracee had a passionfruit peaflower iced tea, and I had a fruity rose infusion. So delicious.

Passionfruit and Rose Teas from Bloody Buddy at Brisbane Vegan Markets


They had a new baked potato stall there called Kumpir Guy, where they baked the potatoes in some special baked potato oven. So they were super hot with crispy skins. They all came with butter and cheese (mashed into the hot flesh), but you could add all sorts of topping. I added pineapple, corn, pickled cabbage, falafel and BBQ sauce. So good, but so filling!

Baked Potato with corn, pineapple, pickled cabbage, falafel and BBQ sauce at Brisbane Vegan Markets


I finally got a chance to try the Cacao Almond Milk from Genki Milk Co, local makers of the only almond milk worth drinking. It was rich, chocolatey, not too sweet, delicious!

Cocao Almond Mild from Genki Milk Co at Brisbane Vegan Markets


I decided to try the Caramel Pretzel ice cream from I Should Coco, but because I don't like caramel I turned it into a chocolate pretzel. It was good, though for some reason their ice cream wasn't as set as normal and as you can see it started melting super fast!

Chocolate Pretzel from I Should Coco at Brisbane Vegan Markets


For my take home treat, I skipped my usual and ended up getting a Nut Nog from Genki Milk Co. A seasonal treat! Based on cashew and almond milk, with a perfect amount of spice, this was amazing. I ended up buying a big bottle from them the week before Christmas because I loved it so much. Definitely looking forward to this next year. I had it with some fresh cherries for afternoon tea.

NutNog from Genki at Brisbane Vegan Markets


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Barry & Maurice


This is Barry and Maurice. Two black brothers that are up for adoptions at work. They are super sweet, super silly, and full of purrs!

1 comment:

  1. I love how you always save the ice cream for last. It is always impressive looking!

    ReplyDelete